I offer thoughtful, effective therapy for couples:
- During transitions, such as increasing commitment levels, having children, or entering retirement
- Having communication challenges or frequent and damaging conflict
- Feeling unsatisfied with the level of emotional and physical intimacy in their relationship
- Facing financial, family, health, or parenting stress
My training and approach include:
- Research-based techniques for addressing conflict and communication developed by Drs. John and Julie Gottman.
- Exercises from the ground breaking work of David Shnarch, Ph.D. in order to deepen intimacy between committed partners.
- Pursuit of the deepest origin of unhappiness in relationships using skills from Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy, the most successful approach available.
- Knowledge of hormones and brain physiology, which affect relating, intimacy, conflict, and its resolution.
While one or both of you may have anxiety, depression, addiction or other challenges, during couple’s therapy we focus on your function and happiness as a unit. However, we will address the impact of psychiatric symptoms on your relationship since the level of your individual happiness and function may limit the joy you experience as a couple. During the first one to three sessions I will conduct a limited psychiatric evaluation of you both, and refer you on individually to a qualified practitioner to provide additional care if necessary.